We are pleased to announce that U.S. Senator Angus King (I-ME) has received the Prescription Justice 5-star rating based on his full support of the organization’s Policy Platform to lower drug prices here and expand access to safe and affordable medication from other countries. Senator King’s 5-star rating reflects his unwavering support of commonsense policy solutions to end the prescription drug affordability crisis. Members of Congress get one star for their positions on the following:
1. Recognizes that the United States is suffering from a crisis of high drug prices?
2. Ending the ban that prevents Medicare from negotiating lower drug prices with pharmaceutical companies;
3. Making reverse payment arrangements between brand and generic companies, also known as “pay-for-delay” illegal;
4. Legalizing the importation of lower-cost medication from Canada and other countries with similarly strict pharmaceutical regulations; and
5. Using reasonable, commonsense, and compassionate enforcement discretion to permit individuals to import small quantities of affordable medication to fill prescriptions.
We applaud Senator King for his courage to stand up to the pharmaceutical industry and for his ardent leadership in Congress in making prescription drugs more affordable for Americans. Most recently, Senator King has co-sponsored important legislation, which closely align with the policy priorities of Prescription Justice, including: